When I think about the Information
Diet and teaching, I think about production and consumption for my students.
Students must understand that what they post or share for the most part is permanent
and a reflection of themselves. As their thoughts and opinions grow and change,
what pictures, blogs, and videos they have posted will remain connected to
them. This connects directly to lessons in cyber bullying and digital citizenship.
For my Kindergartners, I am not sure how this lesson would sound or if it is
even appropriate, but I could tie it back to our model of PBL and providing others
will constructive feedback.
As I read
the book, I considered my own information consumption. Since reading this book,
I am more critical of my own time engaged with technology and skeptical of the quality
of what I am reading. I think this is relevant even for my Kindergartners. Last
week I received a note from a parent that told me that their child lost some
tablet time as a result to his behavior at school. Thinking about this book, I
am not sure how that makes me know feel. How will this consequence at six years
old impact his drive for consumption at this point and later in life? I think
it is also important to consider the amount of time I expose these little ones
to tablet time in our room if they are getting another dose at home. As a
teacher, I have some control (at least when they are in school) of my own
students production and consumption of quality time with technology and it is
my responsibility to critically analyze what I expose my students to.
You mention a very interesting point here- the idea of screen time. I do think that we need to stop and consider how much screen time our students are exposed to. We should also be asking whether or not our students have become addicted to their devices. Life should not be lived entirely on a computer. Additionally, we should teach students to embrace the PICKLE even if technology (in the modern sense) doesn’t play a role. I’m not saying that we shouldn’t use technology, but technology use should not replace problem solving or certain life experiences that do not involve technology.
ReplyDeleteWhen I present technology-based projects to students, I teach them to narrow down their thinking to specific topics or points of interest. Before we begin a project, and before they even sign on to a computer or an iPad, they must brainstorm. This prevents students from going on to web, where there's boatloads of information, and searching endlessly through our many information related apps/school approved websites, without an idea in mind. This helps to limit screen time for us.
ReplyDeleteI have also been aware of my own information consumption. I have consciously limited the amount of time I spend scrolling or browsing. I no longer binge on junk. When I use the web or social media outside my designated junk surfing time it’s for the purpose of finding specific information.
ReplyDeleteI think that you mentioned an important point here; we need to be skeptical of the quality of the information we consume. That "skeptical" word is key. We should be critical of what we read, figure out the meaning behind the information we find and judge based on the sources and their purpose.
ReplyDelete