W3: Situated Cognition and PBL

We started this school year kicking off a new initiative. We spent three days in training learning about Problem Based Learning (PBL) from the Buck Institute.  As I reflect on DDLS class and the readings from last week, I think the authors of Situated Cognition would support the structures in place in PBL. In PBL, teachers are asked to connect the concepts to be taught with a real-life connection for the students (an authentic problem). For example, in a Kindergarten unit on plant needs and life cycles students might have to create and maintain a garden. Next the teacher welcomes experts into the classroom to help build background knowledge and insight, answer questions, and introduce the final public project. In the garden example, the final public project (exit experience) could look like the students hosting their own farmers market and inviting the community to come shop from items grown in their garden. Throughout the study students will effectively collaborate, reflect and review (thinking skills), use technology, and have an opportunity for voice and choice. PBL and Situated Cognition both call for students to work with content as a tool in an engaging and purposeful way.
In the article Knowledge of Structures, Process, and Discourses with Content as a Vehicle the author states "Teachers who design opportunities for students to develop by emphasizing the processes involved in 'doing' are preparing students to use their understanding of these processes to shape their world." As educators, we want our students to leave our schools with all of the skills to have an impact on society. It is becoming more clear that traditional methods will get my students to pass a test or on to the next grade, but in order to make my teaching more meaningful I need to focus in on why I am teaching what I am and how can I validate this lesson for my students? 

For more information on PBL visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMCZvGesRz8\


Comments

  1. I am interested how the implementation of PBL in your school is going. We are in our 3rd year, and the transformation has been great with some grade level teams in that the components of PBL are incorporated every day in the instruction in class. But with some teams, they see it as a project they do every year to check off the list. It seems easier for the higher grade levels in my school to implement it. I am curious to hear as a Kindergarten teacher, how the implementation of the PBL components is in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can easily see as with any new format how some teachers go 100% and others just check it off their list. The pilot is focused this year on 3rd and 4th grades. Next year 1st and 2nd. Kindergarten will be the last to roll out, but we will start experimenting this year with two projects. I'd be happy to share our successes and flops as we jump in.

      Delete
  2. I did PBL trainings over the summer through The Buck Institute. I have also been reflecting on the parallels of that experience and the design practices we are learning with Dr. Norton. Now we are blogging and thinking about the fourth design principle. I think it takes profound step ahead of what I learned in PBL but will ultimately allow us to design lessons that guide students to the edge of their learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that example for PBL. It could even be a school-wide project which could bring everyone together. The upper grades could design the garden and use mathematics lessons for finding area, perimeter, angles, etc... Some grades could research which plants grow effectively in certain areas and your farmer's market idea is cool for economics, plants, advertising, etc... I do think that a lot of what we are learning about ties into PBL because of the authenticity of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems that the PBL approach is an excellent way to implement the third design principle. It offers the opportunity create real-life connection and authentic activities within projects. I believe that after understanding the principles of design, it will be easier to evaluate different approaches and find the most suitable one for every lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’d also be interested to learn more about how this project can be used in many different subject areas. It sounds like the students would need to learn math skills to run the business component of the project. This is in addition to the science information required to actually cultivate the garden. The students would also need to use marketing skills if they plan on inviting the community at large to their garden.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment