I started last Thursday still thinking of scaring sloths and PICKLES and what in the world did of this all mean to me. Bright and early on Thursday, we were having our Kindergarten data PLC with our principal. She wanted to share last years’ school-wide data and focus for this year. As she started, I was waiting for what the new fad, magic word(s), or recipe for success would be. She looked us in the eye and said we need to “start chasing the why, not the what” in our classrooms. In summary she explained, by chasing the what, teachers are chasing the problem that needs to be solved, the assessment that needs to be given, and the SOL that needs to be met. When we start to the look at chasing the why, we are asking ourselves why our students need this information.
Immediately I saw the connection to what we were working on in class. New Fist’s whole principal was centered around chasing the why. He wanted his students to be productive members of their society. He wanted to improve overall quality of life. He saw a need.
The PICKLE is the how we get the why done. Once we validate why we are teaching something the components of the PICKLE principle will help the students transfer this from school culture to practice in the 21st century and beyond.
Immediately I saw the connection to what we were working on in class. New Fist’s whole principal was centered around chasing the why. He wanted his students to be productive members of their society. He wanted to improve overall quality of life. He saw a need.
The PICKLE is the how we get the why done. Once we validate why we are teaching something the components of the PICKLE principle will help the students transfer this from school culture to practice in the 21st century and beyond.
Your summary is so direct and simply understood. What we are learning in class inspires me so much and I walk away feeling I can tackle the world and reform education. Then I walk into my computer lab at school and it seems like a veil covers me. How do I spread the message? How do I do this without freaking my teachers out? I don't think this is a challenge that just I face. One step at a time...
ReplyDeleteI'm definitely on this boat! I want to spread the message, but I feel that there is much to figure out. First, I'll need to show the teachers how the pieces of the design puzzle (content, authentic activity, data, the PICKLE etc.) fit together. Then, I need an effective way of communicating it.....I can lead PD sessions for teachers, but I absolutely want to become better at leading sessions that encourage thinking in terms of the PICKLE.
DeleteI do think that chasing the "why" and not the "what" is imperative because those are the skills that are going to allow students to have design mindsets, new media literacy, sense making skills, etc... If students are going to take on jobs of the future, they do have to be able to learn via elements of the PICKLE in today's society.
ReplyDeleteIt is exciting to see that many schools and teachers around us are also interested on the PICKLE. I think it is truly motivating to hear administrators saying things like chase the why and not the what. I agree with you that the phrase represents the meaning of the PICKLE. If we focus on thinking why are we teaching the content it will help us see the meaning behind it and the real skills that can be brought through it.
ReplyDelete